Sat, 19 Mar|
Monk's Cowl EKZN Camp
Mountain Running: An Ultra Experience
Join the very experienced Mountain Abandon team for a weekend of epic Mountain Running in the magnificent Drakensberg! * Hit the RSVP button to view more details.
Time & Location
19 Mar 2022, 14:00 – 21 Mar 2022, 13:00
Monk's Cowl EKZN Camp, Monk's Cowl, Giants Castle Game Reserve, South Africa
About the event
Join us for a fun but challenging weekend of training, sharing and learning, with a group of like-minded athletes along the beautiful mountain trails of Monk's Cowl and the surrounding areas in the Drakensberg. We will cover topics including but not limited to nutrition, hydration, ascending, descending, the use of poles, and navigation. A great opportunity to hone your mountain running skills, prepare for upcoming races or just put your fitness to the test!
This camp is specifically designed wtih athletes preparing for events like the UTD 100 / 160km, Mac Mac 100 / 200miler, Skyrun 100km etc in mind.
Some of the elements to be covered include the following:
- Learning to navigate efficiently and confidently with your watch or GPS device.
- Climb, climb and climb some more! You can expect to ascend at least one pass, tag a few peaks and spend a fair amount of time running at altitude ( 3000m above sea level).
- Ultra trail specific nutrition and hydration strategies - to be covered in-depth.
- Ultra pacing strategies, so you’re not that guy or girl under the tree at 80km...
What does the weekend entail?
- A Saturday self navigated run to build some confidance in the lower Berg (Pierre & Nicolette will be running along though)
- A Sunday guided mountain run of aproximately 60kms;
- A Monday morning shake-out run followed by an ultra discussion and Gegrond coffee;
- A GPS route to upload to your device in order to practice navigation;
- Unlimited advice on gear, Q&As and running discussions with Nicolette & Pierre, over good coffee;
- A fun group of like-minded athletes with whom to share knowledge and enjoy a long night of mountain movement.
Requirements: Entered for an ultra trail race of more than 60km in the next 8 months. Feel free to contact us if you are uncertain if this camp is for you.
Cost: 1600 pp
Mountain Abandon Athlete Prices:
Premium Package: R400 pp - 75% off
Standard Packages: R1200 pp - 25% off
There are beautiful camping facilities at Monk's Cowl, make sure to book your site in advance. Accomodation / camping is for your own account.
RSVP to receive the full camp itinerary and information sheet.